Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Folarin Balogun says his red card controversy 'didn't help' U.S. at World Cup

Дата публикации: 14-07-2026 23:00:30

Folarin Balogun says the firestorm over his World Cup red card 'didn't help' the U.S. men's national team but rejects it as an excuse for a 4-1 loss to Belgium in the round of 16.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

Folarin Balogun insists that the red card controversy surrounding him during the World Cup was not the reason the U.S. lost 4-1 to Belgium in the round of 16.

But, the breakout American star said Tuesday on NBC’s “Today” show, “it didn’t help.”

“As an athlete, you go into a game that’s already difficult enough with everything that goes on, the pressure,” Balogun said. “So to have more pressure, not just internally [but also] from almost the whole footballing world, was difficult. But it’s not an excuse. We were disappointed with the way it ended, but there’s still a lot to be proud of.”

Balogun, a birthright U.S. citizen whose Nigerian parents live in England, scored his third goal in four World Cup games during a 2-0 win over Bosnia and Herzegovina on July 1 in Santa Clara. But he also received a straight red card for stomping on the ankle of Bosnian center back Tarik Muharemović, meaning the top-scoring American player would have to miss the next game.

It was a controversial call, with some feeling the red card was unwarranted since Balogun’s action didn’t seem intentional.

Then came an even more controversial call, when President Trump reached out to FIFA President Gianni Infantino to ask for the decision to be reviewed. On July 6, the day before the U.S.-Belgium game, FIFA announced that Balogun’s suspension had been lifted and he would be allowed to play the following day.

The only other time a red-card suspension was overruled during a World Cup was in 1962, when Brazilian attacker Garrincha was allowed to play in the final after Brazil’s prime minister lobbied on his behalf.

“My initial reaction was, I was happy to be back in the team,” Balogun said Tuesday on “CBS Mornings.” “But when I kind of started to reflect, I knew it was going to cause a lot of controversy.”

He was correct about that. Although Infantino insisted that the FIFA Disciplinary Committee makes its decisions independently, the reversal caused outrage among many in the soccer world. Belgium submitted an appeal, but it was rejected hours before the game.

Amid all that, the U.S. had to prepare for Belgium — first without and then with Balogun in the mix. He told CBS the situation was “confusing” for all involved.

“I could almost see within my teammates a bit of nerves, because it’s something that is so unique,” Balogun said. “But the closer we got to the game, I tried to just focus as best as I could, but it was difficult. A lot of outside noise, and that’s hard to avoid.”

He added, though, that he and his teammates were “able to separate the emotion from the job at hand,” and the distractions didn’t contribute to the disappointing loss.

“We’re all professionals, so it’s not something I think was too difficult to be separate once we kind of got over the initial announcement that I’d be back in the team,” Balogun said. “I think you saw definitely it was a difficult game against Belgium, and that can kind of overshadow whether we were focused or not. ... I know we had full concentration going into the game.”

More to Read

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Folarin Balogun urges U.S. to focus on beating Belgium despite red card he calls unjust0503-07-2026
2FIFA decision to rescind U.S. star Folarin Balogun's suspension draws cheers and outrage0505-07-2026
3US eliminated by Belgium and Spain ends World Cup...-2607-07-2026
4Folarin Balogun's 1-game ban suspended by FIFA, allowing US forward to play vs. Belgium0505-07-2026
5U.S. advances to round of 16 with thrilling win over Bosnia-Herzegovina despite red card5702-07-2026
6Reports: USA striker Folarin Balogun's suspension lifted, available to play against Belgium in Round of 160505-07-2026
7Reports: USA striker Folarin Balogun's suspension lifted, available to play against Belgium in Round of 160505-07-2026
8Reports: USA striker Folarin Balogun's suspension lifted, available to play against Belgium in Round of 160505-07-2026
9FIFA Lets USMNT’s Balogun Play After Red Card, Belgium Appeals0705-07-2026

Классификация: Спорт. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 9. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 5.62. Источник: www.latimes.com.