Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

More than 50 bodies found improperly stored and decomposing at Chicago funeral home

Дата публикации: 07-08-2026 14:50:15

More than 50 bodies were found improperly stored and decomposing at a Chicago funeral home on Thursday, prompting a hazardous materials response and efforts to identify the remains and notify relatives, authorities said.


Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

More than 50 bodies were found improperly stored and decomposing at a Chicago funeral home on Thursday, prompting a hazardous materials response and efforts to identify the remains and notify relatives, authorities said.

Illinois state officials, meanwhile, suspended the license of one of the funeral home’s directors - alleging bodies were being kept in an unrefrigerated area in “deplorable conditions” - and said the owners previously ran a crematory that was shut down after improperly stored bodies were found there.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office said it was notified by state and local officials that bodies were being stored improperly at South Chicago Chapel, and investigators and forensic pathologists were dispatched. The remains were in various states of decomposition, officials said.

“Staff is assessing the conditions of the remains, searching for documentation regarding identification of the decedents as well as death certificates. This process could take several days to ensure proper disposition,” the medical examiner’s office said in a statement.

No arrests have been announced, but city police said detectives are investigating.

Neighbors told local media outlets that there was a horrible smell coming from the funeral home area.

Messages for the funeral home were left by phone and through its website Friday.

State business records show that funeral director Johanna Morgan incorporated South Chicago Chapel Inc. in 2022 and her funeral director’s license was temporarily suspended on Wednesday.

The state Department of Financial and Professional Regulation said the license suspension was due to “a finding that Respondent’s continued practice is a danger to the public safety, interest and welfare due to Respondent allowing multiple decedents to be kept in an unrefrigerated area with deplorable conditions including rodent infestation, causing decomposition and maggot infestation of the bodies.”

The state business records also list Clark X. Morgan as the funeral home’s president. The Department of Financial and Professional Regulation said it revoked the funeral director license of a Clark X. Morgan and fined him $10,000 in 2024 for practicing with an expired license and “unprofessional conduct” that it did not specify.

State Comptroller Susana Mendoza said Friday that Johanna and Clark Morgan previously ran a crematory in Chicago Heights, south of Chicago, which had its license revoked last year after authorities discovered improperly stored bodies and hundreds of cremated remains that had never been returned to their families.

Mendoza said many of the bodies at the crematory were stacked on top of each other and not refrigerated.

“Horrified. Again,” Mendoza said in a statement. “The discovery of decomposing remains waiting to be laid to rest this week at a South Side funeral home is heartbreaking and an abomination. These are people – someone’s mother, father, sister, brother, child or friend, and they deserve better.”

Both Johanna and Clark Morgan are listed in Cook County court records as defendants in connection with lawsuits involving Heights Crematory in Chicago Heights, south of Chicago.

Public records show Johanna and Clark X. Morgan live at the same address in the Chicago suburb of Evergreen Park, and an obituary for Johanna Morgan’s mother lists her husband as Clark. Phone messages were left Friday for numbers listed in public records for Johanna and Clark Morgan.

South Chicago Chapel’s website says the funeral home is “dedicated to providing compassionate care and personalized services to support families during life’s most challenging moments.”

“Our experienced and caring team is here to guide you every step of the way, ensuring your loved one’s life is honored with dignity, respect, and heartfelt attention to detail,” the site says. “We believe that every life is unique, and we work closely with you to create meaningful tributes that reflect their story and legacy.”

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC.

Story Topics

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Decenas de cadáveres en descomposición hallados en una funeraria de Chicago03.6607-08-2026
2Funeral home directors exposed for mishandling bodies again010.0711-08-2026
3Families fear wrong remains amid funeral home investigation01014-08-2026
4Human remains found during search for missing person at Cook County forest preserve04.3327-07-2026
5Body of missing contractor recovered from Downers Grove storm drain05.2328-07-2026
6Родственники убирали дом покойника и нашли в его морозильнике человеческие останки01027-07-2026
7Body of missing contractor recovered from Downers Grove storm sewer05.3528-07-2026
8В морге на севере Красноярского края перепутали тела умерших и выдали их для захоронения0025-06-2021
9В ящике для пожертвований нашли человеческие останки01022-07-2026

Классификация: Происшествия. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 9. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 7.09. Источник: www.washingtontimes.com.