Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Raleigh city leaders to consider teen curfew this week after Fourth of July violence

Дата публикации: 16-08-2026 16:18:49

This week, members of Raleigh City Council will discuss whether to enact a teen curfew.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

This week, members of Raleigh City Council will discuss whether to enact a teen curfew.

Posted 8/16/2026, 4:18:49 PM Updated 8/16/2026, 4:38:17 PM

A 16-year-old has been charged in connection with a shooting that occurred during the bustling July 4th weekend in Glenwood South. This incident is part of a series of shootings that took place on Glenwood Avenue that night, as thousands of young people gathered in the area. The teenager has been taken to a juvenile detention facility, facing serious charges including assault with a deadly weapon and going armed to the terror of the public. The situation highlights growing concerns about youth violence and public safety during large gatherings. A 16-year-old has been charged in connection with a shooting that occurred during the bustling July 4th weekend in Glenwood South. This incident is part of a series of shootings that took place on Glenwood Avenue that night, as thousands of young people gathered in the area. The teenager has been taken to a juvenile detention facility, facing serious charges including assault with a deadly weapon and going armed to the terror of the public. The situation highlights growing concerns about youth violence and public safety during large gatherings.

By WRAL staff

This week, members of Raleigh City Council will discuss whether to enact a teen curfew. 

The council members are expected to consider a youth protection and curfew ordinance, according to the agenda for a Raleigh City Council work session being held at 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 18.

The council asked the city attorney to draft a youth curfew ordinance at the July 7 meeting, just days after chaos and shootings broke out in Brier Creek and along Glenwood South on the Fourth of July  Raleigh Mayor Janet Cowell previously said that she expects Raleigh City Council to be able to vote on the curfew at the Aug. 18 meeting.

Several people were hurt in shootings on July 4, and Raleigh police have taken multiple teenagers into custody.

Police officers said the incident began at the Brier Creek Commons shopping center, where 3,000 teens showed up for a Star Spangled Block Party held near the shopping center's clocktower.

After the teens were removed from the venue, police say a large fight broke out, and two adults were injured after shots were fired. One adult was hit by gunfire, while the other was hit by glass from a shot-out car window.

According to police, more than 5,000 teens showed up along Glenwood South and began fighting in the street the same night. Court records show dozens of criminal charges related to several fist fights in the street and others resisting arrest.

 Raleigh Police Chief Rico Boyce said he personally chased and helped arrest an armed person during the chaos, describing the scene as "something I have never seen in my 26 years with the Raleigh Police Department."

On Friday, WRAL News spoke with Boyce at Raleigh Hoop Nights, which invites teenagers between 13 and 18 to play basketball with police officers.

"It's a great opportunity to connect, that they see that police officers, we're just people in the community just like them and their parents, that we like some of the same things, so it's a great way to connect without having a uniform," Boyce said.

WRAL goes in depth Wednesday night

On Wednesday, Aug. 19 at 7 p.m., WRAL will go in depth on the topic of youth violence. The conversation will continue at 7:30 p.m. on WRAL News+ and on WRAL's streaming platforms.     WRAL's Gerald Owens will lead a one-hour open discussion with Raleigh Police Chief Rico Boyce, Wake County Sheriff Willie Rowe and others about the problem, what's driving it, and what we can do, as a community, to break the cycle. 

We want your questions to drive the conversation. Email indepth@wral.com to share your thoughts and questions before the discussion.

© 2026 Copyright Capitol Broadcasting Company

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1City officials address aggressive door-to-door salesmen011.6823-07-2026
2В Новороссийске объявили угрозу атаки беспилотников0001-11-2025
3Главы МИД ЕС обсудят целесообразность новых санкций против России за инцидент с Навальным0022-01-2021
4Greenville City Council passes sales tax referendum, heading to November ballot08.111-08-2026
5FWPD decides against audio detection in Flock cameras09.7614-08-2026
6Дума обсудит временный запрет избираться причастным к экстремистским организациям0024-05-2021
7As Raleigh begins construction on 8 new tennis courts at Biltmore Hills, residents push for more07.5316-08-2026
8В Ричмонде введут комендантский час после осквернения памятников деятелям Конфедерации0031-05-2020
9Госдума обсудит отмену техосмотра и ужесточение мер против лихачей и педофилов0020-12-2021
10Why Did Dearborn Police Release This Video?07.4414-08-2026

Классификация: Общество. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 5.24. Источник: www.wral.com.