“Without continued funding, Golden Dome will stop with everything we’ve already built and delivered,” Space Force Gen. Michael Guetlein told reporters today.
Space Force Gen. Michael Guetlein (left) and Daniel Karbler (right) talk Golden Dome at the annual Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Ala., on Aug. 11, 2026. (Breaking Defense/Ashley Roque)
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — Work on the Golden Dome national air defense shield could come to a grinding halt in October if lawmakers do not figure out a way to continue funding for the presidential initiative, the general in charge of the massive project warned today.
“I will tell you that if they don’t figure it out, there’s no Golden Dome because there is no funding,” Space Force Gen. Michael Guetlein told an audience at the Space and Missile Defense Symposium today in Huntsville, Ala.
“Without continued funding, Golden Dome will stop with everything we’ve already built and delivered,” he later told reporters.
Guetlein’s comments come as lawmakers are preparing for the upcoming midterm elections and grappling with just how to fund the Defense Department in fiscal 2027, which kicks off on Oct. 1. Part of that challenge revolves around the White House’s strategic gamble when it asked for $1.5 trillion for the department in FY27 by splitting it into two pots — $1.15 trillion in the base budget request and an additional $350 billion in a reconciliation request.
The Pentagon wants to spend some $17.5 billion on Golden Dome in FY27, but less than $400 million of that total is found in the base budget, leaving a vast majority of the funding tied to the fate of reconciliation.
House and Senate lawmakers are in various stages of working on that FY27 base spending bill but they have shown little appetite for approving the reconciliation pot. However, Pentagon leaders are looking at possible avenues to reshuffle FY27 funds to keep Golden Dome work going.
“There are discussions within the department about how to go forward because we have diversified execution of a lot of these capabilities, and a lot of these capabilities are already requested by combatant commands,” Guetlein told reporters. “There are some alternatives that we can pursue. We have not made any decisions on any pathway.”
For example, there are space capabilities with funding streams from the larger Golden Dome coffer and from the Space Force, the four-star general explained. “So, if Golden Dome is not able to continue to invest in those type of capabilities, then the Space Force could decide at that time to continue the investments,” he said.
As Pentagon leaders figure out a path ahead for FY27 funding, they are also working to spend the roughly $25 billion they received for the initial Golden Dome funding via the 2025 budget reconciliation legislation. Guetlein said that, so far, 90 percent of that total has been obligated and 95 percent committed to deals.
Guetlein and other department leaders have been working furiously to move out on Golden Dome since early 2025 when US President Donald Trump rolled out his plans to build a sprawling, multilayered homeland air defense system. The Pentagon initially said the initiative would cost $175 billion before Guetlein upped it to $185 billion in March to accelerate the development of space capabilities to protect the homeland from incoming aerial threats. Other public estimates put the cost far, far higher over the coming years.
In a bid to better help connect with stakeholders, including industry looking to secure contracts, the Pentagon unveiled a new, online Golden Dome for America Hub today.
The Pentagon said the new hub “represents a fundamental shift in how the United States builds its next-generation, multi-layered homeland missile defense shield.
“By removing legacy organizational barriers, the Hub serves as a unified entry point for traditional defense contractors, commercial tech companies, venture capitalists, academic institutions, research laboratories, and nontraditional entrepreneurs to deliver innovative capabilities at the speed of the market,” it said.

Lt. Gen. John Rafferty, commanding general of US Army Space and Missile Defense Command, speaks during the keynote address at the 2026 Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Alabama, Aug. 11. (Breaking Defense)

Attendees listen during a keynote address at the 2026 Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Alabama, Aug. 11. (Breaking Defense)

Golden Dome czar Gen. Mike Guetlein, left, speaks with retired Army Lt. Gen. Dan Karbler at the 2026 Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Ala., on August 11, 2026. (Breaking Defense)

Vera, made by Huntsville's Browncoats robotics team, is a mechanical challenge robot that shoots plastic balls at the Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Ala., Aug. 11, 2026. (Breaking Defense)

L3Harris Red Wolf munition on display at the Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Ala., Aug. 11, 2026. (Breaking Defense)

Raytheon's LTAMDS: Lower Tier Air and Missile Defense Sensor (foreground) and Raytheon's SM-3 Interceptor (background) as seen at the Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Ala., Aug. 11, 2026. (Breaking Defense)

Northrop Grumman's Glide Phase Interceptor (GPI), intended as a layered defense against regional hypersonic missile threats, is seen on display at the Space and Missile Defense Symposium on Aug. 11, 2026. (Breaking Defense)

Lockheed Martin's PAC-3 missile (above) and THAAD missile (below) as seen at the Space and Missile Defense Symposium Aug. 11, 2026, in Huntsville, Ala. (Breaking Defense)

The Space and Missile Defense Symposium kicked off Aug. 11, 2026, in Huntsville, Ala. (Breaking Defense)

Boeing's Small Diameter Bomb on display at the Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Ala., Aug. 12, 2026. (Breaking Defense)

AV's SB400 (front) and SB600 (back) displayed at the Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Ala., Aug. 12, 2026. (Breaking Defense)

AV's Titan 4 RF Counter-Unmanned Aerial System is seen here at the Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Ala., Aug. 12, 2026. (Breaking Defense)

A caricature artist at MFGS’ booth during the Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Ala., Aug. 12, 2026. (Breaking Defense)

A high-power microwave sensor from Radiance Technologies displayed at the Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Ala., Aug. 12, 2026. (Breaking Defense)

A US Common Hypersonic Glide Body at the Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Ala., Aug. 12, 2026. (Breaking Defense)

A busy day two at the Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Ala., Aug. 12, 2026. (Breaking Defense)

A Space Force officer wears a Space Systems Command patch while attending the Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Ala., Aug. 12, 2026. (Breaking Defense)
| # | Наименование новости | Тональность | Информативность | Дата публикации |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| 1 | Space-based interceptor contractors passed first Golden Dome milestone: Guetlein | 0 | 33.61 | 12-08-2026 |
| 2 | Joint force needs kinetic and non-kinetic weapons for space war: Whiting | 0 | 32.04 | 12-08-2026 |
| 3 | Space Force Again Moves To Terminate Next-Generation Missile Warning Polar Satellite Program | 0 | 5 | 30-04-2026 |
| 4 | Schiess confirmed as third Space Force chief | 0 | 29.93 | 07-08-2026 |
| 5 | Space Force Awards $3.2 Billion To 12 Companies For Space-Based Interceptor Work | 0 | 5 | 24-04-2026 |
| 6 | Northrop Grumman Targets Next Year For On-Orbit SBI “Capability” | 3 | 7 | 01-06-2026 |
| 7 | Bloomberg: В США прошли первые испытания системы ПРО "Золотой купол" | 0 | 9.37 | 12-08-2026 |
| 8 | США завершили первые ключевые испытания системы ПРО «Золотой купол» | 1 | 8.18 | 12-08-2026 |
| 9 | 🇺🇸 США провели первые испытания "Золотого купола". Несколько компаний-подрядчиков, участвующих ... | 1 | 7.73 | 12-08-2026 |
| 10 | Трамп: США намерены развернуть новый противоракетный щит Golden Dome | 0 | 0 | 05-03-2025 |