Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Homeland Security, rights group to meet in court over migrants at Guantanamo Bay

Дата публикации: 13-03-2025 23:09:03

PENTAGON — U.S. government lawyers are expected to face off with attorneys for civil and immigration rights groups over the use of a U.S. naval base in Cuba to hold migrants slated for deportation.
Arguments in the two lawsuits over operations at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay, filed against the Department of Homeland Security and Secretary Kristi Noem, are set for a U.S. District Court in Washington on Friday.
The suits allege that the U.S. government has overstepped its bounds by denying migrants sent to Guantanamo Bay access to legal representation and also by attempting to send migrants to the base's facilities without the proper legal authority in violation of the U.S. Constitution.
DHS officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the upcoming hearing, but they have repeatedly denied the allegations while criticizing the groups bringing the lawsuits.
"The American Civil Liberties Union appears far more interested in promoting open borders and disrupting public safety missions than in protecting the civil liberties of Americans," a DHS spokesperson told VOA in a statement earlier this month, declining to be named.
"They should consider changing their name," the spokesperson added, further describing the legal challenges as "baseless."
President Donald Trump first raised the idea of using the U.S. naval base in Cuba as part of his administration's plans for mass deportations shortly after taking office in January.
Homeland Security's Noem said the base, which features a secure prison to hold captured terrorists, would be used to house "the worst of the worst."
Trump and other U.S. officials also suggested the base could be used to hold up to 30,000 migrants while they awaited deportation.
Those plans, however, never fully materialized.
The U.S. began sending what officials described as "high threat illegal aliens" to Guantanamo Bay's detention center in early February, followed by other nonviolent migrants, who stayed at other facilities.
At times, the facilities held close to 200 detainees, many of whom were deported to Honduras, Venezuela or other countries.
But despite efforts to prepare the facilities for more migrants, capacity has been limited.
According to a U.S. defense official, who spoke to VOA on the condition of anonymity, the prison as currently configured can hold only 130 detainees, while the base's Migrant Operations Center and a temporary tent city can hold, at most, 550 people.
As VOA first reported, DHS officials decided to remove all 40 remaining migrants from the prison and other facilities at Guantanamo Bay this past Tuesday, flying them instead to the U.S. southern state of Louisiana.
Neither DHS nor its subagency, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, have responded to requests for comment on the decision to evacuate migrants from the naval base or on their status or whereabouts since being returned to the U.S. mainland.
The move — and lack of communication — has drawn criticism from immigrants' rights groups, including some of those involved in the current litigation.
"The arbitrary and secret shuttling of people between Guantanamo and the U.S. demonstrates a complete disregard for human dignity, an affront to the rule of law, and a waste of public resources," said the International Refugee Assistance Project's Pedro Sepulveda.
"No one should be detained at Guantanamo," Sepulveda added. "The Trump administration must stop these ill-conceived and cruel transfers and stop detaining immigrants at Guantanamo once and for all."


Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

PENTAGON — 

U.S. government lawyers are expected to face off with attorneys for civil and immigration rights groups over the use of a U.S. naval base in Cuba to hold migrants slated for deportation.

Arguments in the two lawsuits over operations at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay, filed against the Department of Homeland Security and Secretary Kristi Noem, are set for a U.S. District Court in Washington on Friday.

The suits allege that the U.S. government has overstepped its bounds by denying migrants sent to Guantanamo Bay access to legal representation and also by attempting to send migrants to the base's facilities without the proper legal authority in violation of the U.S. Constitution.

DHS officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the upcoming hearing, but they have repeatedly denied the allegations while criticizing the groups bringing the lawsuits.

"The American Civil Liberties Union appears far more interested in promoting open borders and disrupting public safety missions than in protecting the civil liberties of Americans," a DHS spokesperson told VOA in a statement earlier this month, declining to be named.

"They should consider changing their name," the spokesperson added, further describing the legal challenges as "baseless."

President Donald Trump first raised the idea of using the U.S. naval base in Cuba as part of his administration's plans for mass deportations shortly after taking office in January.

Homeland Security's Noem said the base, which features a secure prison to hold captured terrorists, would be used to house "the worst of the worst."

Trump and other U.S. officials also suggested the base could be used to hold up to 30,000 migrants while they awaited deportation.

Those plans, however, never fully materialized.

The U.S. began sending what officials described as "high threat illegal aliens" to Guantanamo Bay's detention center in early February, followed by other nonviolent migrants, who stayed at other facilities.

At times, the facilities held close to 200 detainees, many of whom were deported to Honduras, Venezuela or other countries.

But despite efforts to prepare the facilities for more migrants, capacity has been limited.

According to a U.S. defense official, who spoke to VOA on the condition of anonymity, the prison as currently configured can hold only 130 detainees, while the base's Migrant Operations Center and a temporary tent city can hold, at most, 550 people.

As VOA first reported, DHS officials decided to remove all 40 remaining migrants from the prison and other facilities at Guantanamo Bay this past Tuesday, flying them instead to the U.S. southern state of Louisiana.

Neither DHS nor its subagency, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, have responded to requests for comment on the decision to evacuate migrants from the naval base or on their status or whereabouts since being returned to the U.S. mainland.

The move — and lack of communication — has drawn criticism from immigrants' rights groups, including some of those involved in the current litigation.

"The arbitrary and secret shuttling of people between Guantanamo and the U.S. demonstrates a complete disregard for human dignity, an affront to the rule of law, and a waste of public resources," said the International Refugee Assistance Project's Pedro Sepulveda.

"No one should be detained at Guantanamo," Sepulveda added. "The Trump administration must stop these ill-conceived and cruel transfers and stop detaining immigrants at Guantanamo once and for all."

This item is part of

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1MI HR033807.9325-06-2026
2Largest ICE detention facility wasted millions and put detainees at risk, report finds03510-06-2026
3Госдеп обвинил связанную с Кубой сеть в подготовке акций против военных баз США-5721-07-2026
4No Moral Standing to Complain about Supposed Cuban Terrorism-5327-05-2026
5Wife of U.S. soldier removed from deportation flight, released from immigration custody06.0614-08-2026
6Госдеп США предостерег граждан Кубы и Гаити от попыток нелегального въезда в страну0014-07-2021
7DOJ blocks public and press from accessing immigration courts, lawsuit alleges06.2627-04-2026
8NBC: США вывезли в Гондурас мигрантов из Венесуэлы с базы Гуантанамо0021-02-2025
9МИД Кубы: политики США запугивают мигрантов за связи с родиной0006-08-2025

Классификация: Международные. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 9. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 4.31. Источник: www.voanews.com.