Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Belfast hero who stopped Sudanese 'knifeman' with a hurling stick says act was his 'natural reaction' as he condemns rioters and insists £30,000 raised for him should go to victim instead

Дата публикации: 11-06-2026 09:45:14

Maitiu Mág Tighearnán, 32, was seen hitting a man with a hurling stick in a viral video of the horrific assault which left Stephen Ogilvie in a critical condition in hospital.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

A hero who stopped the alleged knifeman during an attack in Belfast has said intervening was his 'natural reaction' as he condemned rioters and said money raised to support him should go to the victim instead.

Maitiu Mág Tighearnán, 32, was seen hitting a man with a hurling stick in a viral video of the horrific assault which left Stephen Ogilvie in a critical condition in hospital.

Mr Ogilvie lost his left eye following the attack and suffered injuries to his back, neck and face - including to his right eye - in the attempted 'beheading' at around 10.30pm on Monday. He remains in hospital.

Sudanese asylum seeker Hadi Alodid, 30, has since been charged with attempted murder and remanded in custody.

The attack on Kinnaird Avenue in the north of the city has led to two nights of anti-immigration rioting in Belfast that has seen homes torched, police officers injured and vehicles set on fire.

Speaking to Good Morning Britain this morning, Mr Tighearnán hit out at those bringing violence to the city, saying they have 'lost sight' of what they are protesting for.

Images from the city show how hundreds of protesters, mainly men dressed in black, many with face coverings, have amassed in the streets before attacking properties, police, cars and buses.

Mr Tighearnán said: 'Everyone is entitled to their right of opinion and their right to protest. When it turns violent, then you lose sight of the protest and what it stands for.'

Stephen Ogilvie lost an eye following the attack and suffered injuries to his back, neck and face in the attempted 'beheading' at around 10.30pm on Monday 

Mr Ogilvie was left with significant injuries and remains in hospital, police said

Hadi Alodid, 30, from Sudan, has been charged with attempted murder and possession of a knife, as well as a separate charge of making threats to kill an NHS radiographer. He appeared at Belfast magistrates' court on Wednesday and was remanded in custody

He added a shop near his home that has been in the same family for 20 years was 'ruined'.

'Amongst everything that was happening someone has seen someone of colour and then it's led to that,' he said.

On Wednesday night 12 police officers were injured and 16 people were arrested. 

Mr Tighearnán also said that the money from a fundraiser set up in his name should go to the victim, Mr Ogilvie, rather than him.

After his heroic actions were seen by the world, a GoFundMe was launched to raise money and 'buy him a pint', and has so far seen £30,000 donated.

He told GMB today that the money should instead go to supporting Mr Ogilvie and his family as he recovers.

Following his interview, his proud partner Aoife O Reilly described him as 'the man of the hour' in a video on social media. She previously said: 'Couldn’t be prouder of my Matt he was very brave and honestly he’s being so humble about the whole thing.

'We love you Maitiu Mág Tighearnán. You might be everyone’s hero but you're our world.'

Mr Tighearnán previously told the Daily Mail how it was pure chance he stumbled upon the scene on Monday night after taking a short cut to a petrol station with a friend, Andre.

The pair saw one man sitting astride the other, and assumed they were having a fight.

Mr Tighearnán said it was their 'natural reaction' to step in: 'We grew up in west Belfast and a lot of people have that mentality. 

'At the end of the day is that there was a man lying there and he needed help. It was a natural reaction. 

'Most people from where we grew up would've done the same. Belfast at the moment gets a bad rep but the whole area is a community spirited place.'

They jumped out to separate the men, at which point Andre told Mr Tighearnán he could see a knife. 

Maitiu Mág Tighearnán, 32, was seen hitting a man with a hurling stick in a viral video of the horrific assault which left Stephen Ogilvie in a critical condition in hospital 

Mr Tighearnán told Good Morning Britain today that money raised in his name should go to the victim of the attack instead

Mr Tighearnán said that instinct took over: 'I'd taken my son to hurling practice earlier that evening and so I'd got out of the car, gone to the boot and grabbed his hurling stick.

'Instinct took over and I ran over and I smashed this guy over the head with the hurling stick. Right on the flat side, about three times. As hard as I could.'

'Andre was a few seconds behind and he came running in and tried to subdue the attacker with an ankle-hold so he could free the victim.

'I hit this guy again, hard, but it didn't seem to faze him. He did stumble back, though and dropped the knife. I think another man who'd been watching came in and kicked the knife away.

'We were trying to roll the attacker onto his stomach to subdue him but he was struggling. The police then arrived and four officers took over before armed tactical support turned up.

Mr Ogilvie's family has been in touch with Mr Tighearnán to thank him for his brave actions, and said that the intervention of members of the public saved his life. 

Alodid has been charged with attempted murder, possession of a bladed article and threats to kill, appearing at Belfast Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday. 

He is believed to have arrived in the UK after travelling from France to the Republic of Ireland, and then crossing into Northern Ireland.

Authorities say he then claimed asylum and was given leave to remain for five years.

Twelve police officers were injured and 16 arrests were made in the second night of unrest in Northern Ireland following the Belfast knife attack, Hilary Benn has said.

The Northern Ireland Secretary said he was “glad to say that last night there was less disorder than we witnessed on Tuesday night”, as he condemned the “racist thuggery” seen in the wake of Monday’s stabbing assault which left the victim in hospital.

Police used water cannons on rioters, as officers were pelted with bricks and petrol bombs by balaclava-clad rioters in Co Antrim on Wednesday evening.

A Department for Infrastructure vehicle was left in flames as rioters confronted police near the Sandyknowes roundabout in Newtownabbey to the north west of Belfast.

Footage showed dozens of men dressed all in black and wearing face coverings gathering on Antrim Road, where they could be seen tearing bricks from properties and smashing paving stones with sledgehammers to create projectiles to throw at police.

Rioters attempted to set fire to a derelict property near a petrol station in Newtownabbey, with some throwing petrol bombs at police lines.

They could also be seen taking wheelie bins from outside homes and lighting fires in them.

In Londonderry, police reported items having been set alight on the Ardmore Road.

The family of the victim Stephen Ogilvie said they were “disgusted” by the disorder.

In a statement released by police yesterday, they said: “We have been left feeling disgusted by the scenes that unfolded yesterday across Northern Ireland in the wake of what happened. 

'We want to make it absolutely clear that to do this in response is not supported by our family, and peaceful protest is only ever the way forward. 

'We have many migrants who make a deeply valuable contribution to our country, including from within our healthcare system and hospitality sector, and we depend on them to make our country work. 

'We do not want this terrible tragedy to be used to divide people or fuel hostility - do not do this in the name of our loved one as we do not share the same values.'

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Belfast hero who tackled knifeman calls on rioters to donate to victim09.4111-06-2026
2Revealed: Hero bystander who tackled Belfast knife attack suspect with a hurling stick after encountering horrifying incident in the street05.5510-06-2026
3Belfast 'knife attack victim' was doused in aftershave and set on fire by drug dealer during vicious attack in Scottish flat 25 years ago010.3911-06-2026
4Moment masked thugs smash windows of Belfast house with wheelie bin in night of fury as rioters target migrants' homes after asylum seeker knife attack-5710-06-2026
5Makeshift barricade is set on fire near homes in Belfast on third night of riots over Sudanese migrant 'knife attack'03.8312-06-2026
6Man stabbed with screwdriver during Co Antrim robbery and PSNI officer assaulted during foot chase05.502-08-2026
7Moment Belfast rioter sets himself on fire as gang hurls Molotov cocktails at house: Police say 12 officers were injured and 16 people arrested during second night of violence-2611-06-2026
8Man attempts to stab PSNI officer with ‘long sharp item’ at Co Antrim hospital08.421-06-2026
9Man, 40s, in critical condition following alleged assault in Dublin0503-07-2026
10Sudanese Belfast 'knife attack' suspect 'was a policeman in Khartoum' before heading to UK and winning asylum in Britain under 'fast-track' scheme05.4311-06-2026

Классификация: Происшествия. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 9.74. Источник: www.dailymail.co.uk.