Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

Trump’s 50% tariffs are set to hit Canada in hours. There’s still no deal

Дата публикации: 18-08-2026 14:08:07

Unless a trade deal is reached, a fresh round of sweeping 50 per cent tariffs from U.S. President Donald Trump could hit Canada by midnight.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.

There are fewer than 12 hours to go before a fresh round of steep, 50 per cent tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump hit Canada and officials are facing down the clock to secure a trade deal before midnight.

Unless a trade deal is reached, a fresh round of sweeping 50 per cent tariffs will go into effect.

The Prime Minister’s Office said that Prime Minister Mark Carney and Trump spoke by phone about the ongoing negotiations late Monday and again Tuesday. Neither side has disclosed details of the discussions.

Carney was in St. John’s, N.L., on Monday, where he told reporters in French that the trade talks with the U.S. were “delicate” and “intense.”

Story continues below advertisement

Ottawa’s efforts are being led by Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and chief negotiator Janice Charette, who are in Washington, D.C., trying to work out a deal with their American counterparts.

Click to play video: 'Pierre Poilievre says Carney’s approach to U.S. trade negotiations has ‘failed demonstrably’'

1:29 Pierre Poilievre says Carney’s approach to U.S. trade negotiations has ‘failed demonstrably’

What industry groups say

Any deal with the United States should include assurances of future trade certainty, said John Boscariol, partner in the international trade and investment law firm at McCarthy Tétrault.

Story continues below advertisement

“What we should be looking for is some assurance that the Trump administration is not going to randomly hit us with additional tariffs on an arbitrary basis,” he said.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Unless a deal is reached, the impact of the tariffs will be felt by small businesses across Canada, the Canadian Federation of Independent Business said.

“We are hoping something will happen. Maybe those tariffs will be postponed for a few weeks to give time for both countries to come together,” said CFIB vice president Jasmin Guenette.

The Section 338 tariffs would affect nearly $28 billion in annual Canadian exports to the United States, said Dennis Darby, president and CEO of Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters.

“What makes these tariffs particularly damaging is that many of these products had previously benefited from tariff-free access under CUSMA,” he said.

With lumber emerging as a sticking point between the U.S. and Canada, the new tariffs would be “another significant hit” for the forestry sector, said Derek Nighbor, president of the Forest Producers Association.

Click to play video: 'Some companies are holding off making major plans for possible new round of U.S. tariffs'

4:28 Some companies are holding off making major plans for possible new round of U.S. tariffs

Trade talks intensify

LeBlanc and Charette met with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer and U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick at the U.S. Department of Commerce on Monday afternoon, LeBlanc’s office said.

Story continues below advertisement

This was the sixth meeting between LeBlanc and Greer in the last three weeks, as officials hope to present a draft deal to Carney and Trump for their approval before Wednesday’s tariff deadline.

Trump has vowed to hit Canada with new sweeping 50 per cent tariffs on a wide range of goods in response to what the U.S. calls “discriminatory” measures, including boycotts by Canadian provinces of American alcohol in response to the U.S. trade war launched in early 2025.

Trump signed three executive orders last month, each one using a different justification for the new tariff: the provincial and territorial boycotts on American alcohol products, Canada’s retaliatory tariffs on U.S.-made vehicles and auto parts, and quotas on American dairy imports under Canada’s supply management system.

In early 2025, numerous Canadian provinces removed U.S. alcohol from their shelves in response to Trump’s trade war and threats to make Canada the “51st state.”

— with files from Global’s Mackenzie Gray

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Trump imposes 50% tariffs on Canadian goods, citing disputes over autos, alcohol and cheese-5721-07-2026
2Trump imposes 50% tariffs on Canadian goods010.9921-07-2026
3Trump imposes 50% tariffs on Canadian goods, citing disputes over autos, alcohol and cheese08.6421-07-2026
4Trump imposes 50% tariffs on Canadian goods, citing disputes over autos, alcohol and cheese-5721-07-2026
5Trump’s 50% Tariffs on Canada Risk Igniting a Fresh Trade War012.828-07-2026
6Trump slaps additional 50 percent tariffs on Canada0520-07-2026
7Businesses brace for impact as Trump's 50% tariff on Canada draws closer014.8814-08-2026
8Trump slaps additional 50 percent tariffs on Canada-2521-07-2026
9Trump slaps additional 50 percent tariffs on Canada010.9720-07-2026
10Fashion Briefing: Canadian brands are investing in US fulfillment centers in wake of new tariffs05.4523-07-2026

Классификация: Международные. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 11.5. Источник: globalnews.ca.