South Carolina Republican Senator Lindsey Graham has sparked immense backlash with his latest comments about escalating tensions over the US war with Iran.
By VICTORIA CHURCHILL, US POLITICAL REPORTER
Published: 11:00 EDT, 11 March 2026 | Updated: 12:46 EDT, 11 March 2026
South Carolina Republican Senator Lindsey Graham has sparked immense backlash with his latest comments about escalating tensions over the US war with Iran.
During an appearance on Fox News' show Hannity, Graham claimed that when he goes 'back to South Carolina, I'm asking them to send their sons and daughters over to the Middle East.'
That line has created mayhem, as President Trump's bombing of Iran last month is highly unpopular with the American public, with both Democrats and Republicans alike. Eight American service members have already been killed in the conflict. The latest numbers also reveal that at least 140 troops have been injured.
Iran claims more than 1,300 civilians have been killed since strikes began.
Nancy Mace, a South Carolina Congresswoman who is also running to be the state's governor in this year's mid-term elections, noted in an X post Tuesday that she does 'not want to send South Carolina's sons and daughters into war with Iran,' without directly mentioning Graham's comments.
Megyn Kelly, a former Fox News anchor and host who now runs a top podcast as an independent journalist, came after Graham more directly on her show.
'He should NOT be allowed back on television, period! He is frothing at the mouth... this guy is a homicidal maniac, with a bloodlust that is insatiable. What the f? Who voted for that?!,' Kelly stated.
In another recent segment, Kelly noted about Graham, 'no one elected you as our Commander-in-Chief. Shut the f**k up! Get off the national scene. You've disgraced yourself and endangered our troops long enough.'
Senator Lindsey Graham said in a Fox News appearance this week that he is asking his constituents 'to send their sons and daughters over to the Middle East'
Nancy Mace noted in an X post Tuesday that she does 'not want to send South Carolina's sons and daughters into war with Iran
Paul Dans, Graham's opponent in the June 9th primary for South Carolina's Senate seat, reacted to Graham's clip on X, noting 'Lady Graham is obviously blackmailed. We need to keep him as far away from the President as possible. June 9th South Carolina is throwing him OUT.'
Days before Trump struck Iran, Graham was seen at the White House. He reportedly has been one of the President's closest advisers on Iran strategy.
Paul Dans, a Graham opponent in the South Carolina GOP primary for the US Senate, said that the incumbent, 'is obviously blackmailed'
Megyn Kelly , a former Fox News anchor and host, called Graham a 'homicidal maniac, with a bloodlust that is insatiable' for wanting to send more Americans to the Middle East
In an X post reacting to the Iran strikes as they were announced on February 28th, Graham noted that the operation was 'well planned'.
He also noted at the time that he was 'in awe of President Trump's determination to be a man of peace, but at the end of the day, evil's worst nightmare.'
The MAGA-supporting senator, who was once a Trump foe in the 2016 GOP primary field, also raised eyebrows over the weekend during an appearance on Fox host Maria Bartiromo's Sunday show.
During the segment, he brandished a cap that hinted at his aspirations for the Trump administration. Emblazoned on it was the slogan, 'Free Cuba.'
'I'm in Miami. You see this hat? "Free Cuba."' Stay tuned,' Graham told the host in an exchange that was quickly clipped and shared.
'The liberation of Cuba is upon us. It's just a matter of time now,' he added.
'We're marching through the world. We're clearing out the bad guys. Cuba is next.'
Graham further fumed to Bartiromo: 'If we get in a fight, I want to win it, I want to win it quick.'