Two SNP ministers were granted a holiday to attend the World Cup by John Swinney because they bought tickets before they entered Government.
By MICHAEL BLACKLEY, SCOTTISH DAILY MAIL POLITICAL EDITOR
Published: 14:18 EDT, 9 June 2026 | Updated: 14:18 EDT, 9 June 2026
Two SNP ministers were granted a holiday to attend the World Cup by John Swinney because they bought tickets before they entered Government.
The First Minister was accused of hypocrisy after allowing Stephen Flynn and Alison Thewliss time away from their parliamentary and ministerial duties to attend Scotland matches in the United States.
He previously attacked Tory MSPs Murdo Fraser and Dean Lockhart for ‘skiving off’ their parliamentary duties when they attended a Rangers match in the Europa League in Seville, Spain, four years ago.
The First Minister will attend the Haiti match in Boston in the early hours of Sunday as an official representative of Scotland, while Sport Minister Maree Todd will attend the Brazil match in Miami on June 24.
But Mr Flynn and Ms Thewliss are attending in a personal capacity in their own time after being granted leave despite the Scottish parliament not entering its recess period until June 27, days after Scotland’s last group fixture against Brazil.
Stephen Flynn has been given time off from his ministerial duties to attend Scotland matches in the United States
Alison Thewliss has also been given the green light to attend the World Cup
Tory MSP Stephen Kerr said: ‘This is staggering hypocrisy from John Swinney. He previously couldn’t wait to attack other MSPs for doing exactly what he’s now rubber- stamped for two of his ministers.’
Explaining the reasons for granting them leave, the First Minister’s official spokesman said: ‘I think he took the view that obviously these ministers are new in post and they booked this before they took office.’
Mr Swinney’s trip to the US, as a guest of Fifa for the opening Scotland match, is expected to begin on Friday. Asked how the absence of Mr Flynn and Ms Thewliss is different from Mr Fraser and Mr Lockhart in 2022, Mr Swinney’s spokesman said: ‘This is Scotland’s first appearance in the (men’s) World Cup in almost 30 years.’