Вход на сайт

Просмотр новости

Найдите то, что Вас интересует

TG Jones shop to shut in South Street, Bishop’s Stortford, as business restructures

Дата публикации: 18-08-2026 08:57:55

Staff at TG Jones in South Street, Bishop’s Stortford, have been told the store will close on Saturday, October 3.

Основное содержимое страницы с новостью.


Published: 09:57, 18 August 2026


Google


Staff at TG Jones in South Street, Bishop’s Stortford, have been told the store will close on Saturday, October 3.

This week, an “everything must go” sale commenced in preparation for the departure of the retailer that sells books, stationery, newspapers, magazines, cards, and confectionery

Modella Capital, which bought and rebranded WH Smith's high street businesses in 2025, has confirmed a rescue plan which will shut up to 150 outlets, including Bishop’s Stortford. There are currently 451 stores employing 4,700 workers.

TG Jones in South StreetTG Jones in South Street

In addition to the closures, around 120 landlords will receive no rent for up to three years, and rent will be slashed at other stores by between 15% and 75%.

In the High Court, Modella claimed the plans were critical to the survival of TG Jones, and the judge agreed that the restructuring was “the lesser of two evils”.

In 2017, East Herts Council granted planning permission to split the 1 South Street shop into two retail units, but the work never took place.

The site was the location for Bishop’s Stortford’s first movie theatre, The Cinema, which opened on February 10, 1912.

It was bought by Ernest Smith, who also owned Saffron Walden's cinema, in 1916. After the First World War, he modified it and reopened the premises in 1919.

It was so popular that in 1929 he bought a plot of land to build a second, more up-to-date cinema. The 999-seat Regent, designed by E M Allen-Hallett and built by local builder F Cannon & Son, was officially opened on November 9, 1931, by Hertford MP Rear Admiral Murray Sueter.

To ensure it succeeded, Mr Smith shut The Cinema – or “flea pit”, as it had become known – but reopened it as The Phoenix in 1935 with 500 seats. However, by the 1950s it was surplus to requirements once again.

* Historical information is taken from Paul Ailey's www.stortfordhistory.co.uk website and Joe G Smith's book, The Story of Bishop's Stortford's Cinema.



Схожие новости

#Наименование новостиТональностьИнформативностьДата публикации
1Former WH Smith chain TG Jones gets green light to close up to 150 shops as turnaround plan approved in court0501-07-2026
2TG Jones owner Modella Capital joins race to buy struggling department store chain Harvey Nichols09.4420-07-2026
3В Великобритании закрываются последние офлайн‑магазины бренда Hip | New Retail-2629-06-2026
4Tractor Supply to close dozens of pet-focused stores010.4228-07-2026
5Tractor Supply to close dozens of pet-focused stores010.4228-07-2026
6Belfast city centre branch of well-known fashion retailer closes down with unit up for £110k rent016.2505-08-2026
7Tractor Supply to close pet-focused stores010.4228-07-2026
8Kryzys przyszedł po 230 latach. Zamkną 150 sklepów, towar sprzedawany za bezcen016.0811-08-2026
9Jackson staple Boots and More closes after 43 years06.6115-08-2026
10Anglers land more than £500 for Bishop’s Stortford Breathe Easy Group09.0717-08-2026

Классификация: Пресс-релизы. Схожих патентов: 0. Схожих новостей: 10. Тональность: 0. Информативность: 8.6. Источник: www.bishopsstortfordindependent.co.uk.